Thursday, September 25, 2008

Cooper Devin Ball

Wow I don't even know where to start. For those of you that don't know Devin and I welcomed our beautiful baby boy into the world on September 5 at 9:38 pm. He was 3 pounds 3 ounces and 161/2 inches long. We named him Cooper Devin Ball. It was quite a surprise to have a baby 9 weeks early but we are so thankful he is so healthy and doing so good. On the day Cooper was born I was on bedrest so I was reading, talking on the phone, and I even updated my blog that day. At about 3 in the afternoon I started getting a really bad migraine, a migraine is a symptom of Preeclampsia and so my Dr. told me that if I got another one to go into the hospital. I decided to rest instead. Devin got home from school about a half hour later and that is when I started feeling worse. The migraine was getting to be unbearable but more than that I had this horrible pain from my ribs down. Devin finally convinced me to go into the hospital and see what was wrong. We got in there and they took my blood pressure- it was really high, which is another really bad sign that the preeclampsia was getting worse. The nurse left to call my Dr. and by the time she got back I was in such bad pain I was sobbing. My Dr. was in provo that day and so they told me that another Dr. was going to come in and have a look at me. I couldn't stop crying, I hurt so bad and I was so scared my baby wasn't going to be okay. The Dr. finally got in there and checked me, they decided something was definately wrong and since it was still 9 weeks before my due date that they would be sending me to provo in an ambulance. When the ambulance people got there they told me it was a liability thing and Devin couldn't go with me in the ambulance. I went hysterical. I was so scared to go alone, I needed my husband. The Dr. turned to the ambulance driver and said this is a special situation and her husband will be going with you. As soon as we got to Utah Valley Medical Center they got me right in and the nurse looked at me and said I think she is abrupting, get the Dr. in here. He was in the room within minutes and introduced himself to me and said Well lets have a birthday party! I instantly liked him, his attitude was so calming. The next thing I knew the epidural guy was there telling me to lay on my side, I hate needles but I wasn't scared at all I was in so much pain that I loved getting the epidural. Within minutes my pain was gone and I was in a very relaxed state. I looked over at Devin and he was all dressed up in a white suit with a face mask signing papers to let them give me an emergency c-section. All my pregnancy I had told Devin that having a c-section was my worst fear and here I was having a c-section. But honestly in the situation I was so scared my baby wasn't going to be okay that I would have let them cut me open anywhere to get him out. They wheeled me in the operating room and no kidding like 4 minutes later showed me our sweet baby and then whisked him away to the NICU. It was all very surreal to me. Now, looking back, I am so thankful that we were being watched over and that we got here just in time to get our baby here and that he is thriving and healthy. My placenta was abrupting when they delivered him and it was already 60 percent abrupted. If we had waited any longer we wouldn't have sweet baby Cooper here with us today. Cooper is just over three weeks old and I can't believe how much my life has changed in that time. I love being Cooper's Mommy, it is such an honor to be a mom and I love my sweet baby so much. Cooper is still in the NICU at Utah valley but is doing so good and growing like a weed. Last night they weighed him and he is 4 pounds 7 ounces. He is starting to eat really good and once he gets the feeding down he will be coming home! I can't wait to bring him home! I pretty much live at the hospital right now so I haven't had time to get pictures up but I will as soon as my life slows down a little bit! Thanks for all the prayers and love from family and friends. It means so much to have wonderful people behind us!

16 comments:

Powell said...

Hey- Crystal told me about your baby. I am so glad he is healthy. That would be so scary. I can't even imagine what you were going through. You will have to post pictures as soon as he's out of NICU. Let us know if you need anything. I don't live far from the hospital. Good luck and Congradulations.

Unknown said...

I've been trying to get updates from Mel and I'm so glad to hear that both you and Cooper are doing well! Considering how close our due dates were I was a little surprised to find out he was here!! I'm really happy for you guys!!
Michelle

Launi said...

holy cow, sar! congratulations on baby cooper! what a crazy ride getting him here, but i'm so glad that he and you are safe! you're up here in utah valley, eh? i would sure love to come see you if you're up to it, or bring you non-hospital food or anything else that you need! :) i don't know if you'll have time to even check your blog or whatever, but if you do, please email me and let me know your phone # so i can come see your beautiful face! it's scrawnalauna(at)yahoo(dot)com

Toni Dee! said...

Oh SarahBelle . . . it is so nice to "hear" your voice. ONe of these days I really will talk to you myself instead of letting Tyler relay news. Hope you know how much we love you and have been thinking of the three of you!!!

April said...

It is so nice to see a post. I've said it and e-mailed it a million times, but I need to say it again. I'm so thankful you are okay and our little Cooper is doing so well. He has been such a little fighter. He truly is growing like a weed! We are praying you will be able to take him home sooner than later, and all will continue to go as well as it has been going so far. Love you guys! Give our sweet nephew loves from his CA Petersen auntie!

fasdfasdsadf said...

I am so glad that you guys are doing so good. It was good to see you guys on Saturday, and see your house. It is so cute, little cooper will be so happy to come home to a new home with mom and dad! Let us know for sure when he gets home, maybe we will see you this weekend in ogden!:) Love ya girl

Toni said...

Oh my gosh Sarah! I had no idea, how scary... but thank goodness everything turned out ok. I cant wait to see pictures! Congrats! And if you need anything don't hesitate to ask! Hope you and Cooper get home soon! Keep us updated!

Kristen Weller said...

Oh my gosh! I had no idea. Congratulations- I'm glad he is doing well. Good luck.

Kylie and Drew said...

I'm happy everything is okay!! I can't wait to see how cute he is!! :)

Jami said...

Thank you for taking time to write an update. I can't believe the pain you went through. The way you described it sounded just like a protective mother--it brought tears to my eyes. You have had many people praying for you, and I'm grateful for the blessings that have been poured on your little family. I'm glad you have an amazingly supportive husband and now a sweet baby boy. Our prayers and love are with you.
Love Jami Nichols

Anonymous said...

It was nice to read how things are going! Yea! Congrats!! We look forward to "seeing" more of him!!!

Markell said...

It is good to here every thing is going good. I freaked when i heard you had Cooper. It must have been the day after you came to see Kaydence. It is good to hear all is well. I can't wait for you to be back in G-town. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!!!

Joe&Steph said...

Sar!! That is so scary but I am so glad both you and Cooper are okay. I cant wait to see pictures of him and if we can do anything to help let us know. I miss you!

Jennie B. said...

OH my goodness! I am so happy that everything is okay. I can't wait to see the little guy. Congratulations!!!!

Dani said...

Wow I'm a little late with checking back with you. That is so scary! I couldn't believe reading he was here and the whole process, since I'm expecting too. I am so glad that God is watching over you and that everything turned out ok. Can't wait to see a picture- hope you're getting enough rest! Congratulations!

SarahC said...

Sarah! Hi it's Sarah C. from LD's. I just found your blog & what a time to find it! What a scary thing for you to go through! I am so happy that everything is going well & that you & your little guy are ok! Good luck with Cooper!