Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Washington DC

The WWII memorial with the Washington Monument in the background! Beautiful! Devin at the entrance to Arlington National Cemetery
Lincoln Memorial
The South side of the White House
Me and Dev in front of the main entrance to the White house
We went to Washington DC this last weekend with our friends James and Travis! That was the last place on our list of things we wanted to see while living in Philly this summer. It was a fun day in DC though it is hard to see everything in one day we were able to see a lot. We went to the Washington Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, WWII memorial, and saw the White house and the Capital Building. We also went inside the National Archives Museum and saw the original Declaration of Independence and United Stated Constitution. Then we rode the Metro to Arlington Cemetery to see the tomb of the unknown soldier. That was one of my all time favorite parts.. on the tomb it says the words,"Here Rests in Honored Glory an American Soldier known but to God." It is always guarded and it is one of the highest honors to be a guard for the tomb. We got to watch a changing of the guard Ceremony, it was very humbling and made me feel extremely grateful for those that died for our freedom. I love Washington DC, it was so awesome to see everything and to see the monuments honoring the great leaders of our country and the men that died serving our country. It makes me very proud to be an American!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks like so much fun. My all time favorite place to visit was Washington DC. I cried when I got to the Lincoln Memorial and saw the first flag and so many other spots, Wahington Memorial, Tomb of the unknown soldier, The WWII Memorial etc etc etc. I was thrilled to be able to go see the Congress and the Supreme Court. it is very spiritual there. so neat.
I remember going to the Vietnam Memorial and there was a group of kids behind us being very routy. As soon as they walked down the the memorial, they fell silent and were very reverent. You could feel the spirit there. I found 2 men that my brother knew from Delta there. Made me think of the sacrafice they made, just so I could live in freedom. So proud to be an American and just seeing those pictures, makes me want to go back.
love Mom
ps-you look beautiful See you in a little over a week!

Toni said...

You guys are getting to see such cool places! But I bet your kinda excited to come home. I think we will still be living at panguitch lake until like October or something.... after that, we may be in Cedar but not positive. Where will you guys be? If your going to be in Southern Utah and your interested you can e-mail me toni_04_mail@yahoo.com ~ thanks!

Toni Dee! said...

What a cool adventure! I bet you're counting your last few days now huh?

fasdfasdsadf said...

yay for washington dc! and yes I can't wait for NYC!! I have been waiting all summer... and Home is gonna be so nice!:)NO fair you will be there soon..lol

Jan'l said...

Finally you posted some photos. took you long enough... :0 Looks like you had a much better time than i did. I wish I could have gone with you.
i can't wait to see you soon.. I love you mucho mucho

Dani said...

That sounds like lots of fun- you've had an exciting first years of marriage it looks like! Hope life isn't too boring for you when the baby comes and makes you stay home more. :) It's another kind of adventure I guess. :)